A growing number of voices are calling for a boycott of the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics. While discussion among Western countries about a boycott has circulated for months, voices in favor of a boycott have grown stronger in...
Olympics human rights
by Sophie Beach | Jul 30, 2009
In the run-up to the Olympic Games in Beijing a year ago, there was much talk that playing host to the Games would force China to become more open and respectful of human rights, especially freedom of expression. Yet, as the New...
by Sophie Beach | Apr 28, 2009
The Telegraph interviews law professor He Weifang: He Weifang, a celebrated law professor and lead signatory to last year’s Charter 08 petition calling for democratic reforms in China, said the ruling Communist Party was...
by Xiao Qiang | Aug 7, 2008
Edward Cody reports in the Washington Post: China’s intense efforts to block any protest that would mar the Olympic Games were challenged Wednesday by foreign activists equally bent on diverting attention to issues as...
by Claire Kells | Jul 31, 2008
From The New York Times: In response to President Bush’s meeting with prominent Chinese dissidents at the White House, Beijing on Thursday sharply condemned Washington for interfering in China’s domestic affairs and accused...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods