Popular online writer Shen Maohua, who writes under the pen name Wei Zhou, is known for his trenchant and often humorous essays, lively social media comments sections, and occasional brushes with platform censors. In this...
Commissioned in China, Made in Africa: Lockdown “Shout-Out” Videos Boost Morale but Reinforce Racist Stereotypes
May 6, 2022
Some communities in Shanghai have embraced the viral trend of commissioning videos of dancing Africans sending well-wishes to Chinese residents in lockdown. The videos often feature groups of children or muscular African men...
Minitrue: Four Leaked CAC Censorship Directives on Ukraine, Beijing Olympic Budget, and Ban of Russian and Belarusian Paralympians
Mar 18, 2022
The following censorship instructions, issued to the media by government authorities, have been leaked and distributed online. Date: March 3, 2022 Content: Implement the March 1, 2022 directive and give feedback at 22:00 as...
Dec 17, 2021
There’s a Chinese joke about lawyers that goes like this: “You know you broke the law, right?” “Which law?” “Why, teaching the law is illegal!” [Editor’s note: It reads better in the original Chinese] The joke became reality...
Better Living through Algorithm Regulation: Less Exploitation and Profit-Seeking, More “Mainstream Values” and “Positive Energy”
Oct 5, 2021
The latest target in the Chinese government’s regulatory blitz against big tech is algorithms. Last week, a host of ministries announced a new plan to introduce the world’s first comprehensive, nationwide regulatory system for...
CDT in the News
- Coda Story – China wages war on ‘historical nihilism’
- China Spektrum – Staatliche Befugnisse in Krisensituationen: Debatten über Gewalt gegen Frauen und die Lockdown-Politik
- NYT – In Turbulent Times, Xi Builds a Security Fortress for China, and Himself
- Sinopsis – Vlivové aktivity Číny v Africe (China’s Influence Activities in Africa)
- Human Rights Watch – Chained Woman Has Become the Face of Bride Trafficking in China