Paul French explores eponymous adjectives for China beyond the familiar Orwellian and Huxleyite....
Aug 8, 2013
At Five Books, The Fat Years author Chan Koonchung offers some recommended reading on utopias and dystopias, and discusses how they relate to modern-day China. Among his selections are George Orwell’s Nineteen Eighty-Four...
May 30, 2013
For his latest contribution to the Hexie Farm CDT series, cartoonist Crazy Crab comments on the situation for freedom of expression under the new administration of Xi Jinping. One lone pen wanders among a crowd of censors’...
May 23, 2013
For his latest contribution to the Hexie Farm CDT series, cartoonist Crazy Crab continues his Orwellian theme to comment on prospects for political reform under President Xi Jinping. This cartoon is inspired by a People’s...
May 20, 2011
For the Los Angeles Times Review of Books, Jeffrey Wasserstrom reflects on analogies regularly employed between Orwell’s 1984 and political control in China, and asks whether the ideas of Aldous Huxley might make a more...
CDT in the News
- ASPI – Singing from the CCP’s songsheet: The role of foreign influencers in China’s propaganda system
- Lacuna Magazine – Redacted Fantasy: China’s Dystopian Censorship of Online Fiction
- Sinocism – Sharp China: The Foreign Influencer Ecosystem; Money Flowing Out of China; Xi’s Exit Strategy; A Mao YouTube Controversy (11.29.2023)
- Sinocism – 2023 Weekly Discussion Thread #36: Xi in San Francisco; TikTok
- Libération CheckNews – Baidu et Alibaba, les deux géants chinois du Web, ont-ils remplacé Israël par la Palestine sur leurs cartes ?