The New York Times has published a stunning series of images of Xinjiang taken by photographer Carolyn Drake: Ms. Drake is based in Istanbul. “Paradise Rivers,” her long-term, three-part project chronicling five former Soviet...
by Sophie Beach | Dec 11, 2009
French journalist René Vandergoten has shared with CDT his photographs from a recent trip to northwestern China, which beautifully depict the struggle of local farmers against the encroaching desert: Min Qin is an oasis located...
by Sophie Beach | Oct 26, 2009
Time Magazine has posted an audio slideshow by photographer Andreas Siebert of images from his new book, From Somewhere to Nowhere: China’s Internal Migrants. See also Siebert’s website. The book has also been turned...
CDT in the News
- FT – Exporting Chinese surveillance: the security risks of ‘smart cities’
- The Jamestown Foundation – Chinese Leaders Project Confidence in Self-Sufficiency Amid Post-Pandemic Food Security Concerns
- Protocol – Censored word lists are ‘proprietary assets’ for Chinese big tech
- What’s On Weibo – The Disappearing Emoji on Weibo in Light of June 4
- Clearance Jobs – Biden Tasks Intelligence Community to Answer Wuhan Questions