While some well-to-do young Chinese have opted out of the smog and drudgery of rapid urbanization...
by Sophie Beach | May 9, 2013
A public debate has emerged in recent years over the one-child policy, as high-profile cases of forced abortions and other abuses have led to public protests. Author Ma Jian recently wrote about the draconian enforcement tactics...
by Sophie Beach | Jul 18, 2012
The New York Times reports on the stand-off between locals and a group of visiting officials to Mt. Baekdu who caused severe delays for visitors to the local tourist attraction. CDT earlier translated weibo responses to the...
by Sophie Beach | Nov 4, 2011
China’s leaders have long been resented for their special treatment, including superior medical treatment and access to a special organic food supply amidst increasing concerns over food safety in China. While air...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods