While some well-to-do young Chinese have opted out of the smog and drudgery of rapid urbanization...
by Sophie Beach | May 9, 2013
A public debate has emerged in recent years over the one-child policy, as high-profile cases of forced abortions and other abuses have led to public protests. Author Ma Jian recently wrote about the draconian enforcement tactics...
by Sophie Beach | Jul 18, 2012
The New York Times reports on the stand-off between locals and a group of visiting officials to Mt. Baekdu who caused severe delays for visitors to the local tourist attraction. CDT earlier translated weibo responses to the...
by Sophie Beach | Nov 4, 2011
China’s leaders have long been resented for their special treatment, including superior medical treatment and access to a special organic food supply amidst increasing concerns over food safety in China. While air...
CDT in the News
- FT – Exporting Chinese surveillance: the security risks of ‘smart cities’
- The Jamestown Foundation – Chinese Leaders Project Confidence in Self-Sufficiency Amid Post-Pandemic Food Security Concerns
- Protocol – Censored word lists are ‘proprietary assets’ for Chinese big tech
- What’s On Weibo – The Disappearing Emoji on Weibo in Light of June 4
- Clearance Jobs – Biden Tasks Intelligence Community to Answer Wuhan Questions