The latest wave of Omicron outbreaks and lockdowns in Shanghai, Changchun, Dongxing, Taiyuan, and other cities has resulted in food shortages and supply chain disruptions. The lockdowns and road closures have been particularly...
Apr 8, 2022
After conducting nucleic acid testing on its 26 million residents this week, Shanghai remains under lockdown. The metropolis has reported over 120,000 cases of COVID-19 thus far, most of them asymptomatic. Nationwide, an...
Netizen Voices: Coal Costs, Climate Commitments and Competing Priorities Inform China’s Latest Power Outages
Sep 28, 2021
Power outages and blackouts across twenty Chinese provinces have forced factories to slow production and disrupted daily life for millions of residents. Power supply shortages are being driven by rising coal prices and increased...
CDT in the News
- RFA – Chinese censors delete news report probing return of COVID tracking
- China Brief – Much Cause But Little Recourse For Popular Discontent
- Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) – Young people living in and outside China fight to keep spirit of ‘white paper’ protests alive
- ASPI – Singing from the CCP’s songsheet: The role of foreign influencers in China’s propaganda system
- Lacuna Magazine – Redacted Fantasy: China’s Dystopian Censorship of Online Fiction