China has officially banned the importation of Australian coal, striking at the heart of the country’s energy sector. The decision, announced on Monday, escalates the Australia-China trade war that began after Canberra...
by John Chan | Nov 23, 2020
An investigation by The New York Times has exposed how chips made by U.S. technology giants Intel and Nvidia have been used to power the expansive digital infrastructure behind China’s surveillance state. Reporting from a...
by John Chan | Nov 18, 2020
With achieving “national self-reliance” an important goal of Beijing’s under its new five-year plan, the government has been pouring vast sums of money into fostering a homegrown semiconductor industry....
by John Chan | Nov 2, 2020
As the CCP lays out the vision for its latest five-year plan, reports suggest that developing national “self-reliance” is a critical piece of Beijing’s long-term goals. This emphasis is not new: related themes...
CDT in the News
- FT – Exporting Chinese surveillance: the security risks of ‘smart cities’
- The Jamestown Foundation – Chinese Leaders Project Confidence in Self-Sufficiency Amid Post-Pandemic Food Security Concerns
- Protocol – Censored word lists are ‘proprietary assets’ for Chinese big tech
- What’s On Weibo – The Disappearing Emoji on Weibo in Light of June 4
- Clearance Jobs – Biden Tasks Intelligence Community to Answer Wuhan Questions