In China’s northern provinces, health authorities are contending with the most severe domestic spread of coronavirus since the initial outbreak more than one year ago. To the south, Hong Kong has been struggling to contain...
by Sophie Beach | Aug 4, 2009
AP reports on another building collapse, this time more deadly than the last: An unfinished factory building collapsed amid a violent thunderstorm Tuesday in northern China, killing 17 people, state media and a government...
by Paulina Hartono | Mar 25, 2009
Despite reports that families were being pressured to drop milk lawsuits, one family has seen its case go through. From Xinhua: The Xinhua District Court in Shijiazhuang, the provincial capital, accepted the lawsuit Wednesday....
by Paulina Hartono | Sep 29, 2008
Xinhua reports that 22 have been detained in connection to the melamine milk contamination scandal. Among the detained, 19 people were managers of 17 pastures, breeding farms and milk purchasing stations. The local procuratorate...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods