A report released this week by UN Special Rapporteur on Contemporary Forms of Slavery Tomoya Obokata stated that it is “reasonable to conclude” that there is forced labor in Xinjiang, and that certain instances of it “may amount...
Sep 8, 2011
An investigative reporter in China has uncovered another brick kiln that is holding disabled men in slave-like conditions. From Time Magazine’s blog: The abuses were uncovered by Cui Songwang, a reporter for a Zhengzhou...
May 31, 2010
The Times reports on the release of 33 slave laborers at a brick kiln in Shijiazhuang: The brutal conditions at the kiln — the latest to be exposed in a series of rural slavery scandals — came to light when a man escaped and...
Nov 14, 2009
From the Times of India: China on Thursday invoked Abraham Lincoln’s anti-slavery philosophy to persuade US president Barack Obama from meeting the Dalai Lama… “He is a black president, and he understands the...
Jun 27, 2007
In response to the brick kiln slavery investigations and internet protests, the Chinese government will begin more stringent inspections of workplaces, hoping to better protect migrant workers. From the Washington Post: China on Wednesday announced a new crackdown on illegal labor practices following an outcry over revelations of slave labor at brick factories in the […]
CDT in the News
- Newsweek – China’s Angry Protesters Confronted With Warnings About ‘External Forces’
- The Straits Times – China still clamping down on protest activities against Covid-19 lockdown
- NYT – ‘Breach of the Big Silence’: Protests Stretch China’s Censorship to Its Limits
- NYT – Banana Peels for Xi Jinping
- Washington Post – Chinese state TV obscures maskless crowd in World Cup broadcast