At The Wall Street Journal, Te-Ping Chen and Fiona Law describe Hong Kong’s lukewarm welcome for the Year of the Snake: The coming year […] suffers because it is considered a “blind year,” meaning it...
Feb 5, 2013
As the year of the snake approaches, the BBC’s Martin Patience visited the ‘snake village’ of Zisiqiao, where villagers expect to see a profitable year due to the Lunar New Year: The reptiles are reared for...
Dec 28, 2006
Earthquake prediction with Chinese characteristics, via Topix.net: China has come up with an earthquake prediction system which relies on the behavior of snakes, state media said on Thursday, two days after two quakes struck off neighboring Taiwan. The earthquake bureau in Nanning, capital of the Guangxi autonomous region in southern China, had developed its system […]
CDT in the News
- MIT Technology Review – Now China wants to censor online comments
- The Globe and Mail – Shanghai leaves lockdown after two months, but ‘zero COVID’ policy remains
- WION – Shanghai residents spent 2 months ‘locked’ up, but China bans media from calling it a ‘lockdown’
- The Independent – Shanghai prohibits media from using the term ‘lockdown’
- Guardian – Shanghai reportedly bans media use of the term ‘lockdown’ as lockdown ends