Vietnam’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs has protested against Chinese military drills in the South China Sea: Xinhua News Agency (China) on February 25th reported that the 8th Chinese naval escort fleet had on February 24th...
by Liu Yong | Dec 30, 2009
From Reuters: A Chinese rear admiral has urged the nation to set up navy supply bases overseas in an interview posted on the Ministry of Defense website after China paid ransom to free a ship held for nine weeks by Somali...
by Sophie Beach | Oct 19, 2009
Somali pirates have captured a Chinese ship in the Indian Ocean, MSN reports: China’s Ministry of Transport said relevant government agencies were making efforts to rescue a hijacked Chinese bulk carrier in the Indian...
by dwang | Sep 18, 2008
From Xinhua: Armed Somali pirates hijacked Wednesday a Hong Kong bulk carrier with 25 crew members, 24 of them Chinese, off the Somali coast, the Chinese embassy in Nairob confirmed. The bulk carrier owned by Sinotrans of Hong...
by Liu Yong | Aug 9, 2007
From China Brief ( Volume 7, Issue 16): In its efforts to expel an Islamist government and capture a handful of inactive al-Qaeda suspects in Somalia, the United States has risked its political reputation in the region through a series of unpopular measures. These include backing an unsuccessful attempt by warlords to take over the […]
CDT in the News
- FT – Exporting Chinese surveillance: the security risks of ‘smart cities’
- The Jamestown Foundation – Chinese Leaders Project Confidence in Self-Sufficiency Amid Post-Pandemic Food Security Concerns
- Protocol – Censored word lists are ‘proprietary assets’ for Chinese big tech
- What’s On Weibo – The Disappearing Emoji on Weibo in Light of June 4
- Clearance Jobs – Biden Tasks Intelligence Community to Answer Wuhan Questions