On May 18, 2023, blogger and activist Wu Gan was released from prison after serving an eight-year sentence for “subversion of state power.” Active in rights defense cases since 2009, Wu Gan (whose screen name was “Super Vulgar...
subversion of state power
Translation: Losing One’s Freedom for Freedom’s Sake—Xu Zhiyong’s Further Response to “Subversion of State Power” Charges
May 1, 2023
On April 10, civil rights lawyers Xu Zhiyong and Ding Jiaxi were sentenced to 14 and 12 years in prison, respectively, on charges of “subversion of state power” after closed door trials in Linshu County, Shandong. The charges...
Netizen Voices: Cyberspace Administration Moves to Censor AI Bots, “And It’s Over Before It’s Begun”
Apr 12, 2023
Proposed regulations on the development of generative artificial intelligence models issued by China’s top internet regulator would require “AI-produced content [to] embody core socialist values.” The 12 core socialist values...
Apr 10, 2023
Civil rights lawyers Xu Zhiyong and Ding Jiaxi have been sentenced to 14 and 12 years in prison, respectively, on charges of “subversion of state power” after closed door trials in Linshu County, Shandong. The charges stem from...
Jun 29, 2022
Last week, prominent civil rights defenders Xu Zhiyong and Ding Jiaxi were put on trial behind closed doors on charges of subversion. The trials took place on Wednesday and Friday, respectively, in the Linshu County...
UN Human Rights Council Report Cites Intimidation, Reprisals against Chinese Activists Who Cooperate with the UN
Sep 29, 2021
A September 17 advance report from the UN Human Rights Council notes that the Chinese government has engaged in intimidation and reprisals against activists who have cooperated with the United Nations on human rights issues...
CDT in the News
- Sky News – Chinese state media appears to censor one of its own videos
- The Guardian – Chinese state media censors itself after highlighting poem about corrupt leaders
- ASPI Daily Tech and Cyber Digest – Meta’s ‘biggest single takedown’ removes Chinese influence campaign | Japan’s cyber security agency suffers months-long breach | FBI, partners dismantle Qakbot infrastructure
- Atlantic Council – Chinese discourse power: Capabilities and impact
- VOA – Chinese Social Media Platforms Fail to Control Racism Against Black People: Report