Robert Woo from Global Voices takes a look at people’s feedback on the film The Founding of a Republic. The following translated thoughts from Han Han are excerpted from the post: I am highly suspicious that the director...
The Founding of a Republic
by Sophie Beach | Sep 8, 2009
The Independent watches the patriotic blockbuster Jianguo Daye (The Founding of the Republic): Mao is played by the startlingly similar Tang Guoqiang, who emphasises his “Great Helmsman” side, a hagiography of the...
by Sophie Beach | Aug 29, 2009
AFP reports on a government effort to get citizens to show their patriotism by going to the movies: Beijing cinemas will hand out nearly a million free movie coupons to encourage citizens to watch patriotic films as China tries...
by Sophie Beach | Aug 25, 2009
Asia Times reports on the controversy over Jianguo Daye (Lofty Ambitions of Founding a Republic), a patriotic blockbuster being produced for the 60th anniversary of the PRC: The current stir is over whether ethnic Chinese actors...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – US sharply criticises China in annual human rights review, the Biden administration’s first public assessment of Beijing’s record
- New York Times – How China’s Outrage Machine Kicked Up a Storm Over H&M
- HRW – People in China Left Wondering, ‘What Happened in Xinjiang?’
- The Philadelphia Inquirer – China steps up online controls with new rule for bloggers
- Mind Matters – For Five Days There Was Free Expression in China