The term “historical nihilism”—which has long been used to label accounts that challenge Party-approved orthodoxy—is again back in headlines and official crosshairs with the launch of a hotline allowing people to report those...
by Joseph Brouwer | Dec 22, 2020
New investigations by ChinaFile and The New York Times reveal the complexities of the vast and diffuse organs tasked by the Chinese state with understanding (and manipulating) online public opinion. The Great Firewall, the...
by Joseph Brouwer | Sep 25, 2020
Early in the evening of August 23, 12 Hong Kong activists boarded a boat in the Hong Kong fishing village Po Toi O and set off for Taiwan, fearing prosecution under Hong Kong’s new national security law. Three days after their...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – US sharply criticises China in annual human rights review, the Biden administration’s first public assessment of Beijing’s record
- New York Times – How China’s Outrage Machine Kicked Up a Storm Over H&M
- HRW – People in China Left Wondering, ‘What Happened in Xinjiang?’
- The Philadelphia Inquirer – China steps up online controls with new rule for bloggers
- Mind Matters – For Five Days There Was Free Expression in China