New investigations by ChinaFile and The New York Times reveal the complexities of the vast and diffuse organs tasked by the Chinese state with understanding (and manipulating) online public opinion. The Great Firewall, the...
by Joseph Brouwer | Sep 25, 2020
Early in the evening of August 23, 12 Hong Kong activists boarded a boat in the Hong Kong fishing village Po Toi O and set off for Taiwan, fearing prosecution under Hong Kong’s new national security law. Three days after their...
CDT in the News
- DW – Where is Jack Ma? The mainstream media keep slience
- FT – Beijing orders Chinese media to censor coverage of Alibaba probe
- China Heritage – China’s Virus of Lies in 2020
- VOA Chinese – Year 2020 in Review: Xi Jinping steps up crackdown on independent journalists with unprecedented intensity
- Rest of World – Waving goodbye to Weibo