In the Far Eastern Economic Review, Joshua Rosenzweig of the Duihua Foundation writes about the slew of recent defamation cases against people who criticize local officials: In recent weeks, China has been abuzz with talk about...
by Sophie Beach | Apr 30, 2009
In a number of recent cases, local officials have brought defamation or libel charges against citizens who criticized them. In discussing these cases on their blogs and in their writing, Chinese journalists and academics have...
by Paulina Hartono | Apr 21, 2009
Wu Baoquan’s comments towards the government landed him in prison. Roland Soong of ESWN translates a Southern Metropolis Daily article that talks about Wu’s situation, as well as the quieting of his case online:...
by Paulina Hartono | Apr 17, 2009
From Oiwan Lam of Global Voices Advocacy: A 24 year-old netizen Wang Shuai was jailed for 8 days for posting pictures that mocked at illegal land requisition in Henan Ningbao county in 6 March. Latest update on 17 of April from...
CDT in the News
- FT – Exporting Chinese surveillance: the security risks of ‘smart cities’
- The Jamestown Foundation – Chinese Leaders Project Confidence in Self-Sufficiency Amid Post-Pandemic Food Security Concerns
- Protocol – Censored word lists are ‘proprietary assets’ for Chinese big tech
- What’s On Weibo – The Disappearing Emoji on Weibo in Light of June 4
- Clearance Jobs – Biden Tasks Intelligence Community to Answer Wuhan Questions