At The New York Review of Books, Ian Johnson reviews the new English version of Yang Jisheng’s Great Famine history, Tombstone, comparing it with other books on the subject by Zhou Xun and Frank Dikötter. The review...
by Sophie Beach | Mar 7, 2008
As Xinhua reported (and CDT translated) last August, officials in Xinyang, Henan Province have been touting the economic and social benefits the city has accrued after banning the consumption of alcohol at official banquets. The...
by Michael Zhao | Dec 28, 2007
A new commentary from Great Wall Online provides an update on CDT’s earlier post about a new ban on alcohol at lunch for officials in the Henan Province city of Xinyang. Translated by CDT: The benefits of the ban on...
by Michael Zhao | Aug 15, 2007
Xinyang City Secretary reports on a rare experiment and its achievements: banning alcohol at cadres’ lunches. Benefits are multiple, and enormous. Translated from Xinhua Henan channel: An alcohol ban at lunches for all...
CDT in the News
- PBS Newshour – Examining the human toll of China’s stringent COVID policy
- Mind Matters – Peng Shuai Backtracks Her Accusations
- Global Times – Western media, anti-China forces use MeToo movement to incite gender antagonism: expert
- WSJ – China Fines Weibo for Spreading ‘Illegal Information’
- The Guardian – China’s troll king: how a tabloid editor became the voice of Chinese nationalism