Human rights lawyer Li Fangping has been detained in Beijing, hours after the release of Teng Biao, in an apparent “revolving-door trick” designed to influence public perception of the crackdown. From Chinese Human...
Mar 25, 2008
From Toronto Star: In the darkest of ironies, as the Olympic torch was lit in Athens yesterday, a court in China sentenced a man to five years in prison after he dared to say the principle of human rights is more important than...
Feb 29, 2008
From The Telegraph: China’s foreign minister denied yesterday that anyone raising the human rights issue in relation to this summer’s Beijing Olympics would be arrested. His denial came as Britain’s Foreign...
Feb 19, 2008
The Guardian gives an update in the case of Yang Chunlin, who is facing subversion charges for demanding protection of human rights: The government has tried to brush off the publicity generated by the US film director Steven...
Feb 14, 2008
Edward Cody reports in today’s Washington Post: An activist who helped organize a petition complaining that Chinese want “human rights, not the Olympics” will be tried for inciting subversion against the state,...
Oct 8, 2007
From AP: A Chinese land rights activist imprisoned after circulating a petition opposing the Beijing Olympics has been chained for days in the same position and forced to clean up the waste of other inmates, his sister and a rights group said Monday. Yang Chunlin was detained in July in his native province of Heilongjiang […]
CDT in the News
- RFA – Chinese censors delete news report probing return of COVID tracking
- China Brief – Much Cause But Little Recourse For Popular Discontent
- Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) – Young people living in and outside China fight to keep spirit of ‘white paper’ protests alive
- ASPI – Singing from the CCP’s songsheet: The role of foreign influencers in China’s propaganda system
- Lacuna Magazine – Redacted Fantasy: China’s Dystopian Censorship of Online Fiction