Human rights lawyer Li Fangping has been detained in Beijing, hours after the release of Teng Biao, in an apparent “revolving-door trick” designed to influence public perception of the crackdown. From Chinese Human...
by Sophie Beach | Feb 19, 2008
The Guardian gives an update in the case of Yang Chunlin, who is facing subversion charges for demanding protection of human rights: The government has tried to brush off the publicity generated by the US film director Steven...
by Xiao Qiang | Feb 14, 2008
Edward Cody reports in today’s Washington Post: An activist who helped organize a petition complaining that Chinese want “human rights, not the Olympics” will be tried for inciting subversion against the state,...
by Wu Nan | Oct 8, 2007
From AP: A Chinese land rights activist imprisoned after circulating a petition opposing the Beijing Olympics has been chained for days in the same position and forced to clean up the waste of other inmates, his sister and a rights group said Monday. Yang Chunlin was detained in July in his native province of Heilongjiang […]
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods