Two websites, China Petition Network and Supervision by Public Opinion, which aim to expose corruption and wrongdoing, are back in operation after being closed down, according to a report in Asia Times. They were both reopened at the behest of Wen Jiabao, just before the plenary session of the National People’s Congress, during which the official role for Jiang Zemin is expected to be debated. An earlier Asia Times article claimed that the power struggle between Hu and Jiang is being played out in debates over the existence of websites like these two.
CDT in the News
- South China Sea Chronicle Initiative (Vietnamese translation of CDT post)- Sự Bất Đối Xứng Trong Quan Hệ Nga-Trung Và Bên Hưởng Lợi
- Discourse Power – Jan. 23, 2023 Newsletter
- Sinocism newsletter (1/18/2023) – Xi’s Spring Festival video chat; Han Zheng to be the next VP?; Janet Yellen and Liu He meet; Wow mess
- The Economist (Drum Tower newsletter) – What our journalists are reading
- RFA – China slaps exit ban on wife of shuttered Shanghai political bookstore owner