China Guards Against “Overseas Hostile Forces” on Web

Reuters reports on the latest Internet crackdown:

Wang Chen, head of the Information Office of the State Council, said on Friday the country would intensify a crackdown on online crimes as part of an ongoing campaign that he said netted more than 5,510 suspects last year.

Xinhua news agency reported his comments as part of a story on an online drug ring on Monday.

Wang said China would also strengthen monitoring on “harmful information” on the Internet in a bid to block overseas harmful information from spreading in the country and prevent “overseas hostile forces from infiltrating through the Internet,” Xinhua said.

China Daily has more on Wang’s speech:

In Friday’s speech, Wang confirmed, for the first time, that major news websites and business portals in China have already complied with the no-anonymity comment rule; a trend that Wang said will be pushed through the Internet, including the populous online bulletin boards.

China would also intensify its crackdown on online crimes, which netted 5,510 suspects last year, according to Wang. Tough measures would be employed to tackle online pornography, gambling and fraud as a country has witnessed a growing population of over 400 million internet users.

SUPPORT CDT

CDT on Twitter

Google Ads 1

CDT EBOOKS

Giving Assistant

Amazon Smile

Google Ads 2

Anti-censorship Tools

Life Without Walls

Click on the image to download Firefly for circumvention

Open popup
X

Welcome back!

CDT is a non-profit media site, and we need your support. Your contribution will help us provide more translations, breaking news, and other content you love.