Chinese officials are cracking down on illegal World Cup betting, according to a report from Reuters, via the Washington Post: Chinese police have pledged a “most severe” crackdown on football gambling during the...
2010 World Cup
by Sophie Beach | Jun 2, 2010
The Washington Post reports on China’s beleaguered soccer team: China may be the world’s most populous country and its new sporting powerhouse — winning the most gold medals at the 2008 Summer Olympics in...
by Liu Yong | Mar 24, 2008
From AFP: Struggling China will be hoping the mountain air of Kunming can breathe life into their World Cup campaign when they face Group 1 favourites Australia at high altitude here on Wednesday. Desperate for a home win in the...
by Meredith Godwin | Feb 18, 2008
China’s men’s national football team lost 3-2 to South Korea in the opening football game of the 2008 East Asian Championship in Chongqing, China. China’s coach, Vladimir Petrovic deflected criticism from the local...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – US sharply criticises China in annual human rights review, the Biden administration’s first public assessment of Beijing’s record
- New York Times – How China’s Outrage Machine Kicked Up a Storm Over H&M
- HRW – People in China Left Wondering, ‘What Happened in Xinjiang?’
- The Philadelphia Inquirer – China steps up online controls with new rule for bloggers
- Mind Matters – For Five Days There Was Free Expression in China