“Voices of July” continues CDT’s monthly “Voices of …” collection of viral and censored audio-visual content from all over China. Inspired by the original audio-visual compilation “Voices of April,” which was the target of...
Aug 8, 2022
“Voices of June” continues CDT’s monthly “Voices of …” collection of viral audio-visual content from pandemic lockdowns in Shanghai and other Chinese cities. Inspired by the original audio-visual compilation “Voices of April,”...
Jul 12, 2022
Hundreds of bank depositors clashed with police in Zhengzhou, the provincial capital of Henan, in a major escalation of a simmering conflict between rural customers and a consortium of likely insolvent local banks that have...
Jun 15, 2022
As citizens revolt against never-ending lockdowns and local governments “resolutely struggle against all distortions, doubts and denials” of Xi Jinping’s zero-COVID policy, as recently ordered by the Politburo Standing...
May 27, 2011
A major fraud at Longtop Financial Technologies, a Chinese financial software company, was revealed this week in a resignation letter by its auditor Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu. Floyd Norris writes in his column in the New York...
Jun 30, 2006
From Reuters: China’s banking regulator on Friday urged the country’s lenders to redouble efforts to strengthen internal controls and prevent scandals, renewing a call for better supervision following a series of fraud cases. “Although some achievements have been gained in addressing banking scandals since last year, the current situation in this regard is still very […]
Jun 27, 2006
From Shanghai Daily: Auditors say they’ve uncovered 60.3 billion yuan (US$7.5 billion) worth of financial crimes and bookkeeping irregularities at the Agricultural Bank of China, underscoring the challenges regulators face as they attempt to reform the weakest of the nation’s state-owned banks. The probe discovered 51 cases of fraud worth 8.7 billion yuan and involving […]
CDT in the News
- China Brief – Much Cause But Little Recourse For Popular Discontent
- Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) – Young people living in and outside China fight to keep spirit of ‘white paper’ protests alive
- ASPI – Singing from the CCP’s songsheet: The role of foreign influencers in China’s propaganda system
- Lacuna Magazine – Redacted Fantasy: China’s Dystopian Censorship of Online Fiction
- Sinocism – Sharp China: The Foreign Influencer Ecosystem; Money Flowing Out of China; Xi’s Exit Strategy; A Mao YouTube Controversy (11.29.2023)