Bloomberg’s Sharon Chen and Dandan Li provide an overview of recent changes to China’s hukou residency permit system, which for decades has tightly controlled citizens’ rights to settle and receive public...
by Scott Greene | Oct 28, 2011
Hundreds of angry migrants in Zhili, a town in Zhejiang province, clashed with riot police late Thursday night after the owner of a children’s clothing company refused to pay his taxes and then rallied a group to turn on...
by Jenny Leung | Oct 30, 2008
chinaSMACK has translated a discussion on a Tianya and KDS forums regarding Shanghainese’s xenophobic responses to “wai di ren” (外地人:to refer to migrants from within China), as opposed to “wai guo...
by Paulina Hartono | Dec 11, 2007
From SonicBBS.com, via Daqituhai (大旗图海):
CDT in the News
- VOA – China Media Directives Reveal Granular Detail of State Censorship
- The Jamestown Foundation – Early Warning Brief: Factional Strife Intensifies as Xi Strives to Consolidate Power
- Politico – China’s crypto ban fuels new U.S. wedge issue
- RFA – Meng Wanzhou Arrest, Return Used as Patriotic Talking Point in Chinese Schools
- Colombo Gazette – Digital autocracy in China: An appraisal