The State Council has released new guidelines directing local governments to allow migrants from...
by Sophie Beach | Nov 22, 2010
NPR has a report on wealthy Chinese women who pay a fee to service providers who can arrange for them to give birth on U.S. soil under a U.S. Constitutional Amendment which gives the right to citizenship to anyone born in the...
by Jenny Leung | Nov 16, 2008
As international film star, Gong Li, switches over from Chinese to Singaporean nationality, the online debate and media attention on her “Chineseness” begins. The Times reports: Most Netizens voiced fury at her...
by Sophie Beach | Aug 28, 2007
The following op-ed, about the government’s use of restrictions on travel to control political dissidents, appeared on the blog of the Duihua Foundation: The reunion last week of Boston-based Chinese dissident Yang Jianli with his wife and son after five years in a Chinese prison hopefully marks the first of many conciliatory gestures Beijing will […]
CDT in the News
- DW – Where is Jack Ma? The mainstream media keep slience
- FT – Beijing orders Chinese media to censor coverage of Alibaba probe
- China Heritage – China’s Virus of Lies in 2020
- VOA Chinese – Year 2020 in Review: Xi Jinping steps up crackdown on independent journalists with unprecedented intensity
- Rest of World – Waving goodbye to Weibo