Last October, Chinese media reported that pharmaceutical company America Citi Pharmacy Co. Ltd.’s was using their suggestive name in a fraudulent ad campaign—the Chinese and English names used by the company were very...
Oct 16, 2011
When Canada’s securities watchdog suspended trading in the shares of Toronto-listed Chinese company Sino-Forest in August amid allegations that it exaggerated its land holdings and profits, it sparked a rout...
Sep 3, 2011
A lengthy article in the Globe and Mail looks at the complex history of Sino-Forest, a joint venture between a Hong Kong entrepreneur and a Chinese government bureau, which is now being brought down by a major accounting...
Mar 19, 2007
From the Washington Post: YINGKOU, China — To hear Chinese authorities tell it, Wang Zhendong is a danger to society, the worst kind of person, one who took advantage of his fellow citizens’ naivete and trust. Last month, a court here gave him the death penalty for his crimes. As China moves fitfully from a […]
Feb 15, 2007
A Chinese company chairman has been sentenced to death for running a scam involving giant ants, via BBC: Wang Zhendong promised investors returns of up to 60% if they put money into the fictitious ant-breeding project, the court heard. Wang, from Liaoning province, raised 3bn yuan ($390m; ¬£200m) in three years, prosecutors said… More than […]
CDT in the News
- ASPI – Singing from the CCP’s songsheet: The role of foreign influencers in China’s propaganda system
- Lacuna Magazine – Redacted Fantasy: China’s Dystopian Censorship of Online Fiction
- Sinocism – Sharp China: The Foreign Influencer Ecosystem; Money Flowing Out of China; Xi’s Exit Strategy; A Mao YouTube Controversy (11.29.2023)
- Sinocism – 2023 Weekly Discussion Thread #36: Xi in San Francisco; TikTok
- Libération CheckNews – Baidu et Alibaba, les deux géants chinois du Web, ont-ils remplacé Israël par la Palestine sur leurs cartes ?