Last October, Chinese media reported that pharmaceutical company America Citi Pharmacy Co. Ltd.’s was using their suggestive name in a fraudulent ad campaign—the Chinese and English names used by the company were very...
by Scott Greene | Oct 16, 2011
When Canada’s securities watchdog suspended trading in the shares of Toronto-listed Chinese company Sino-Forest in August amid allegations that it exaggerated its land holdings and profits, it sparked a rout...
by Wu Nan | Mar 19, 2007
From the Washington Post: YINGKOU, China — To hear Chinese authorities tell it, Wang Zhendong is a danger to society, the worst kind of person, one who took advantage of his fellow citizens’ naivete and trust. Last month, a court here gave him the death penalty for his crimes. As China moves fitfully from a […]
by Wu Nan | Feb 15, 2007
A Chinese company chairman has been sentenced to death for running a scam involving giant ants, via BBC: Wang Zhendong promised investors returns of up to 60% if they put money into the fictitious ant-breeding project, the court heard. Wang, from Liaoning province, raised 3bn yuan ($390m; ¬£200m) in three years, prosecutors said… More than […]
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods