A recent high-level Party meeting in Beijing has called for the more equitable distribution of wealth in Chinese society, possibly portending significant changes to the country’s economic and social systems. According to most...
Aug 8, 2014
British and Chinese-American corporate investigators Peter Humphrey and Yu Yingzeng were found...
Nov 5, 2012
While lawyers acting for Wen Jiabao’s family threatened legal action against The New York Times following David Barboza’s investigation of their business dealings, the premier himself has taken a different tack....
Oct 27, 2012
David Barboza’s investigation of the wealth built by Wen Jiabao’s extended family has dominated China news since its publication by The New York Times early on Friday. While the basic fact that wealth and power go...
Jan 17, 2009
From Economic Observer Online: On Dec 18, employees from Dawu Group gathered in the auditorium of Xushui Middle School to elect the company’s new board of directors. This was already the third such board election since Sun...
Jun 29, 2006
From Forbes: Beijing is also trying to pull off a delicate balancing act: imposing the disciplines of the market on management while keeping policy control of its national and local champions firmly in trusted hands. This has led to the creation of a hybrid group structure, not dissimilar to the industrial groupings that underpinned Japan […]
Apr 16, 2006
From the Financial Times (link) The development of China’s capital markets will continue to trail its strong economic growth until there is a radical improvement in corporate governance standards, according to a survey of the region’s most powerful investors. Institutional investors in China say the lack of independent directors, byzantine share-ownership structures and poor regulations […]
CDT in the News
- RFA – Chinese censors delete news report probing return of COVID tracking
- China Brief – Much Cause But Little Recourse For Popular Discontent
- Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) – Young people living in and outside China fight to keep spirit of ‘white paper’ protests alive
- ASPI – Singing from the CCP’s songsheet: The role of foreign influencers in China’s propaganda system
- Lacuna Magazine – Redacted Fantasy: China’s Dystopian Censorship of Online Fiction