China is in the midst of a push to vaccinate 560 million people—40 percent of its population—by June. However, facing slow vaccine uptake (a February survey found the majority of medical workers unwilling to take it) and a minor...
by Joseph Brouwer | Dec 30, 2020
One year ago, on 30 December 2019, Dr. Li Wenliang shared information about a patient exhibiting SARS-like symptoms with his colleagues over WeChat—the first public warning about the disease that would soon sweep the world....
by Joseph Brouwer | Nov 18, 2020
Amid steadily escalating tensions between Canberra and Beijing, a searing document charging Australia with “spearheading the crusade against China” has been intentionally leaked by Chinese authorities. The document, which...
by Joseph Brouwer | Nov 12, 2020
In a whiplash sequence of events, Brazilian regulators suspended and then resumed trials of a Chinese-developed coronavirus vaccine after the sudden death of a trial participant, later discovered to be a suicide. Vaccines...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – US sharply criticises China in annual human rights review, the Biden administration’s first public assessment of Beijing’s record
- New York Times – How China’s Outrage Machine Kicked Up a Storm Over H&M
- HRW – People in China Left Wondering, ‘What Happened in Xinjiang?’
- The Philadelphia Inquirer – China steps up online controls with new rule for bloggers
- Mind Matters – For Five Days There Was Free Expression in China