A pair of recently surfaced screenshots appear to offer unusual detail about a special month-long operation, held in Beijing and involving over 40 Ministry of Public Security computer specialists from around the country, to...
May 12, 2023
Snow? In Hebei? In May? Don’t even joke about it.A young man in a small city in southern Hebei was called in for talks by the local internet police after posting a video of snowfall to Douyin tagged “Shahe City,...
Xinjiang Authorities Investigate Three for “Disrupting Public Order” Via “Criminal Comment-Flooding”
Nov 17, 2022
Three men are being investigated by the Xinjiang Cyberspace Administration for “disrupting public order on the internet and causing adverse social impact” by flooding a live-streamed official press conference with “malicious”...
Sep 17, 2021
“20021” may look like a random string of numbers or a mangled date, but many Weibo users know it as a sign that they are being blocked from posting “sensitive” content. Telegram user @cybergraveyardcn (简中赛博坟场)...
CDT in the News
- RFA – Chinese censors delete news report probing return of COVID tracking
- China Brief – Much Cause But Little Recourse For Popular Discontent
- Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) – Young people living in and outside China fight to keep spirit of ‘white paper’ protests alive
- ASPI – Singing from the CCP’s songsheet: The role of foreign influencers in China’s propaganda system
- Lacuna Magazine – Redacted Fantasy: China’s Dystopian Censorship of Online Fiction