Liu Xia, wife of jailed Nobel Peace Prize laureate Liu Xiaobo, has given her first interview in 26 months, less than a week before the 2012 Nobel ceremony next Monday. Liu Xia has been under house arrest since the announcement...
by Samuel Wade | Dec 4, 2012
Documentary series Dispatches reported this week on Chinese pressure to prevent national and local officials from meeting with the Dalai Lama (British I.P. address required) during his visit to Britain earlier this year. The...
by Melissa M. Chan | Oct 8, 2011
The Dalai Lama criticized China’s censorship while video chatting with Desmond Tutu amid claims that China prevented him from traveling to South Africa. Al Jazeera reports: The Dalai Lama has slammed censorship in China as...
by Samuel Wade | Oct 8, 2011
The Associated Press reports that two former monks set themselves on fire on Friday in protest at Chinese policy towards Kirti monastery, following another such incident on Monday: The two former monks, 18-year-old Thongan and...
by Xiao Qiang | Sep 30, 2007
A round-up of video items one China’s role in the Burmese government’s crackdown on protestors, starting with South African peace activist Desmond Tutu‘s threat to boycott the Beijing Olympics if China fails to support the freedom for people in Burma, issued at a press conference in Gothenburg, Sweden on September 28th.
CDT in the News
- The Philadelphia Inquirer – China steps up online controls with new rule for bloggers
- Mind Matters – For Five Days There Was Free Expression in China
- Hoover Institution – Xiao Qiang On China’s Model Of Digital Authoritarianism
- New York Times – In China, an App Offered Space for Debate. Then the Censors Came.
- Taiwan CNA – China blocks Clubhouse, official media say “anti-China has nothing to do with free speech”