Diaosi, an online Chinese buzzword which can be loosely translated as “loser”, has been embraced by many young Internet users. At Civil China, Chris Marquis and Zoe Yang carried out a weibo content analysis, and...
May 12, 2013
Originally an insult, the term diaosi (屌丝) has been appropriated by legions of tech-savvy Chinese youth to describe their experience living in a rapidly changing and often unjust society. After explaining the term’s...
Jun 28, 2012
Want China Times briefs English-speakers on a self-deprecating Chinese buzzword making waves on the internet this year: The term “diao si” (屌絲) has been a buzzword among China’s internet community since the...
CDT in the News
- SupChina – 50 days in Shanghai lockdown
- Rest of World – In China, fleeting “cyber protests” leave behind fragile memories
- The Diplomat – China’s Censors Aim to Contain Dissent During Harsh COVID-19 Lockdowns
- The Washington Post – China shuts down talk of covid hardship; users strike back
- China Media Project – Honoring China’s Heroes