Investigative journalist Peng Yuanwen is known for his reporting at The Beijing News, Vista and ifeng.com, as well as for his witty commentary on Mark Zuckerberg’s notorious 2016 Beijing “smog jog.” But long before that, he...
by Joseph Brouwer | Jul 7, 2021
Censors have scrubbed a father’s anguished “plea for help,” written in the aftermath of his son’s suicide, from Chinese social media. His son, a 17-year-old Hubei high school student, committed suicide after being forced to work...
by Grace | Aug 17, 2018
Labor activist Shen Mengyu has been forcibly detained by authorities in Guangdong after supporting...
by Natalie Ornell | Apr 24, 2014
Tens of thousands of workers have been on strike at multiple factories for Yue Yuen, the...
by Josh Rudolph | Dec 5, 2013
With scores of recent graduates joining the ranks of Chinese youth competing for a limited number...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods