A gossipy breakup scandal became an internet-wide debate about the morality of surrogacy after it was revealed that a former celebrity couple secretly begat children through surrogacy in the United States. Producer Zhang Heng...
Sep 25, 2012
Stories of Chinese mothers travelling to the U.S. to give birth have become familiar. Global Times’ Xuyang Jingjing, though, describes a growing trend of Chinese couples seeking American surrogate mothers. The...
Jan 23, 2012
China celebrated the start of the Year of the Dragon with the customary televisual extravaganza and barrage of fireworks, as well as a less traditional burst of record-breaking microblog traffic. 481,207 messages were posted to...
May 7, 2006
From the Los Angeles Times (link): In a country known the world over for its strict one-child policy, Cui Hui and his wife would give anything to have that only child. He runs a successful Internet company and she teaches at a university. Married for eight years, they were busy pursuing their careers and kept […]
CDT in the News
- ASPI – Singing from the CCP’s songsheet: The role of foreign influencers in China’s propaganda system
- Lacuna Magazine – Redacted Fantasy: China’s Dystopian Censorship of Online Fiction
- Sinocism – Sharp China: The Foreign Influencer Ecosystem; Money Flowing Out of China; Xi’s Exit Strategy; A Mao YouTube Controversy (11.29.2023)
- Sinocism – 2023 Weekly Discussion Thread #36: Xi in San Francisco; TikTok
- Libération CheckNews – Baidu et Alibaba, les deux géants chinois du Web, ont-ils remplacé Israël par la Palestine sur leurs cartes ?