The South China Morning Post reports that recent discoveries of sex offenders working in Chinese...
Jan 6, 2014
Global Times reports instructions for TV and radio hosts to use more “proper...
Dec 20, 2011
The local government in the suburban Beijing town of Miyun has voted down proposed plans to transform the town into an “English-language” tourist destination with European-style architecture and a rule against...
Jan 16, 2008
Reuters reports on an English-language-learning craze among residents in Beijing, Reuters reports. The classes are all part of Beijing’s effort to get its population to speak English to welcome the millions of foreigners expected to flood to the city in this Olympic year. Worried that its citizens’ notoriously poor command of the language will embarrass […]
Jan 4, 2008
From Xinhua via Shanghai Daily: Nearly every Beijinger is going international with the forthcoming Olympics – even former stone-faced police officers are learning to greet foreigners with a friendly “hello” and a big smile. Amid the citywide pre-Olympic English-language-learning craze, nearly every police officer, from new graduates to those close to retirement, is studying foreign […]
Aug 19, 2007
The Ministry of Education signals the end of an English-improvement drive launched last year with a new report reassuring the world that China “has set strict standards on the use of both Chinese and English in service industry to better meet the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games.” Via Eastday.com: The report showed that China has regulated […]
CDT in the News
- Journal of Contemporary China – Invented Borders: The Tension Between Grassroots Patriotism and State-led Patriotic Campaigns in China
- NYT – A Tiananmen Square Musical Worries About China’s Glare
- Global Voices – In China, questions remain ahead of Huawei’s launch of the Mate 60 phone series
- Rest of World – Heavily persecuted, highly influential: China’s online feminist revolution
- Sky News – Chinese state media appears to censor one of its own videos