Wuhan Central Hospital ophthalmologist Dr. Li Wenliang was punished for warning about a mysterious “SARS-like virus” before the Wuhan government or Beijing had acknowledged an emerging viral epidemic. Days later, while working...
freedom of information
by Samuel Wade | May 1, 2018
The 1998 suicide of Peking University student Gao Yan after her alleged rape by a professor has...
by Samuel Wade | Sep 17, 2014
Human Rights Watch’s China Director Sophie Richardson writes at The Globe and Mail that with...
by cschultz | Jan 31, 2010
Published in the Times Argus: The Chinese businessman battled for years to get cities to reveal their budgets, but his quest seemed quixotic in a country notorious for keeping citizens in the dark. Then China did what would once...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods