In China’s northern provinces, health authorities are contending with the most severe domestic spread of coronavirus since the initial outbreak more than one year ago. To the south, Hong Kong has been struggling to contain...
by Anne Henochowicz | Jan 27, 2021
The latest COVID-19 outbreak in Hebei, first detected in the provincial capital of Shijiazhuang, has triggered a strict lockdown likened by some to wartime measures. People with Hebei residency (hukou) have been suddenly...
by Josh Rudolph | Jul 25, 2016
Commenting on the massive flooding that has led to at least 164 deaths in northern China over the...
by Josh Rudolph | Jun 26, 2014
Last month, China’s state media reported that the National Development and Reform Commission...
by Samuel Wade | Apr 23, 2014
Caixin’s Ren Zhongyuan and Yang Baolu report on the trial this month of three alleged...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – US sharply criticises China in annual human rights review, the Biden administration’s first public assessment of Beijing’s record
- New York Times – How China’s Outrage Machine Kicked Up a Storm Over H&M
- HRW – People in China Left Wondering, ‘What Happened in Xinjiang?’
- The Philadelphia Inquirer – China steps up online controls with new rule for bloggers
- Mind Matters – For Five Days There Was Free Expression in China