One hundred workers were abruptly laid off from one of Hong Kong’s biggest TV news stations on Tuesday, prompting the resignation of editors and senior editorial staff in protest. Claiming financial losses, recently...
Hong Kong journalists
by John Chan | Oct 22, 2020
The State Department announced on Wednesday that six Chinese media outlets were being designated as “foreign missions,” the latest move in an ongoing tit-for-tat between the U.S. and China over media organizations. For The Hill,...
by Samuel Wade | Aug 10, 2020
Jimmy Lai, pro-democracy owner of Hong Kong’s Apple Daily newspaper, was arrested on Monday on suspicion of "colluding with foreign forces." Nine others, including Lai’s sons, were also arrested for alleged...
by Scott Greene | Jan 10, 2013
The Wall Street Journal reports that the Hong Kong government is considering a proposal that activists and journalists argue would hamper local press freedom: In a paper submitted to the legislature this week, the government...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – US sharply criticises China in annual human rights review, the Biden administration’s first public assessment of Beijing’s record
- New York Times – How China’s Outrage Machine Kicked Up a Storm Over H&M
- HRW – People in China Left Wondering, ‘What Happened in Xinjiang?’
- The Philadelphia Inquirer – China steps up online controls with new rule for bloggers
- Mind Matters – For Five Days There Was Free Expression in China