Eight officials are being investigated or have been let go after anti-eviction protesters set themselves on fire and one died. From China Daily: The three committed the tragic protest on September 10 when confronting workers who...
by Liu Yong | Dec 31, 2009
From New York Times: The job advertisement, placed on a popular Web site, sounded like a casting call for a superhero. “Wanted: Someone with a strong sense of responsibility, tough, brave and physically strong. Ability to oppose...
by Paulina Hartono | Dec 17, 2009
Xi Xinzhu, a Beijing resident, set himself on fire after protesting the demolition of his home. Earlier this month, CDT also reported the death of Tang Fuzhen, a Chengdu resident who also resorted to self-immolation in a...
by Paulina Hartono | Feb 27, 2009
During the Monlam prayer festival of the Tibetan New Year, a monk set himself on fire and was then shot at Kirti monastery in Aba County, an ethnic Tibetan area of Sichuan province. It is not known whether he is alive or dead....
CDT in the News
- Human Rights Watch – Chinese Cyber Legend Vanishes, Raising Concerns
- PRI The World – Front row seat at China’s 100th anniversary celebrations
- Mind Matters – Chinese Communist Party: 100 Years of Erasing, Rewriting History
- The Jamestown Foundation – The 2021 Party History Study Campaign Stresses Revolution and Sacrifice
- FT – Exporting Chinese surveillance: the security risks of ‘smart cities’