A growing number of voices are calling for a boycott of the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics. While discussion among Western countries about a boycott has circulated for months, voices in favor of a boycott have grown stronger in...
International Olympics Committee
by Josh Rudolph | Jul 28, 2015
On Friday July 31, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) will meet in Kuala Lumpur to elect...
by Sophie Beach | Jun 23, 2010
In the Guardian, Human Rights Watch researcher Phelim Kine critiques a new book by the Chinese government, the World Health Organization and the International Olympic Committee for whitewashing the censorship of reports about...
by Sophie Beach | Apr 28, 2010
The International Olympic Committee has determined that a Chinese gymnast was ineligible to compete in the 2000 Olympics and stripped the team of a Bronze medal, awarding it to the United States instead. From Bloomberg: The...
by Sophie Beach | Nov 11, 2005
From AP, via ABC News: After years of fierce lobbying and months of secrecy, Beijing unveiled five mascots for the 2008 Olympics on Friday, opening a marketing blitz that is expected to reap record profits. In an elaborate, nationally televised gala at a Beijing sports arena to mark the 1,000-day countdown until the Games, senior […]
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods