A radioactive gas leak at a nuclear power plant in southern China has been described by experts as a mundane issue with the cladding on fuel rods in one of the plant’s reactors. The episode has nevertheless highlighted the...
by Anne Henochowicz | Jun 11, 2021
This spring, while nationalist fervor to “support Xinjiang cotton” swelled online, voices in China calling to “support Xinjiang people”—fellow Chinese citizens targeted by China’s...
by John Chan | Nov 16, 2020
Fifteen countries in the Asia-Pacific region on Monday signed the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP), one of the largest free trade agreements in history. Inspired by the 10 member states of the Association of...
by Sophie Beach | Sep 25, 2020
CDT has recently acquired and verified a collection of propaganda directives issued by central Party authorities to state media at the beginning of this year. These directives were issued on an almost daily basis in early 2020,...
by Josh Rudolph | Feb 20, 2018
The Australian Financial Review’s Phillip Cooley reports on discussions between Australia,...
by Josh Rudolph | Mar 16, 2017
U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson embarked on his first diplomatic trip to Asia this week,...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods