The ongoing crackdown by the Xi administration in the Xinjiang region has been described as an effort to “re-engineer” the Uyghur identity and as a form of “cultural genocide.” Officially launched in 2014, the steadily...
Nov 26, 2012
China delivered a rousing jolt to its various border disputes last week with the introduction of a controversial new passport design. Visa pages in the passports incorporate a map—shown in an annotated photograph at The...
Oct 19, 2012
Ahead of the 50th anniversary of the start of the 1962 Sino-Indian War on Saturday, The Economist visited the disputed region of Arunachal Pradesh over which it was fought. The area, sometimes known in China as “South...
Oct 3, 2009
The Times of India looks at the relationship between India and China in light of recent disputes over the shared border: The rise and rise of China represents one of contemporary history’s tectonic shifts. For an India...
Oct 1, 2009
From India Times: Taking a serious view of China’s latest move to issue “separate” visas to Indian passport holders from Jammu and Kashmir, the government has told Beijing in no uncertain terms to put an immediate end to this...
Jun 10, 2007
From Financial Times: India’s strengthening ties with the US are the cause of China’s increasingly aggressive position over the disputed India-China border in the eastern Himalayas, according to security affairs analysts in both countries. The two fast-growing economies have co-ordinated their approach to climate change through the Group of Eight, and bilateral trade surged 56 […]
CDT in the News
- Sinocism – 2023 Weekly Discussion Thread #36: Xi in San Francisco; TikTok
- Libération CheckNews – Baidu et Alibaba, les deux géants chinois du Web, ont-ils remplacé Israël par la Palestine sur leurs cartes ?
- RFA – Guangdong officials ban Model United Nations over federalism debate
- BBC – Chinese grieve popular ex-premier Li Keqiang in quiet show of dissent
- Le Monde – En Chine, l’hommage très contrôlé à l’ex-premier ministre Li Keqiang, « dernier dirigeant de l’ère des réformes »