Even before the lifting of China’s long-standing “zero-COVID” policy in early December of last year, there were signs of a surge in Omicron cases nationwide. Since then, China has experienced a tsunami of infections—first in...
Jul 9, 2013
Pollution from coal used for winter heating cuts individual life expectancies in northern China by more than five years relative to those in the south, according to a newly published study. The research comes on top of recent...
Apr 30, 2011
Nicholas Kristof writes in his New York Times column that the life expectancy for a child in Shanghai is now 82, whereas it is only 79 in the U.S.: The harsh repression in China these days rightly garners headlines, but health...
Apr 28, 2011
In the New York Review of Books, Nobel Prize-winning Economist Amartya Sen looks at the rapid economic growth in India, which some say may surpass that of China, and discusses comparisons between India and China on basic...
Oct 2, 2009
Fast Company created a graphic delineating the statistical differences in a number of areas between China in 1949 and in 2009: See the full version here.
Feb 11, 2007
China Daily carries a summary of the Chinese Academy of Sciences‘ new “Outline for China’s Sustainable Development,” which predicts Chinese people will live to 85 on average by 2050 (roughly 13 years longer than they live now). According to the report, the average Chinese will also be in school for twice as long and spend […]
Feb 4, 2005
From Xinhuanet: The average life expectancy of Beijing residents reached 79.87 years in 2004, compared with 79.62 years in 2003, according to the information center of the municipal center for disease control. Men’s average life expectancy is 78.24 years and the women’s is 81.51 years, said Xie Xueqin, director of the center, Thursday.
CDT in the News
- ASPI – Singing from the CCP’s songsheet: The role of foreign influencers in China’s propaganda system
- Lacuna Magazine – Redacted Fantasy: China’s Dystopian Censorship of Online Fiction
- Sinocism – Sharp China: The Foreign Influencer Ecosystem; Money Flowing Out of China; Xi’s Exit Strategy; A Mao YouTube Controversy (11.29.2023)
- Sinocism – 2023 Weekly Discussion Thread #36: Xi in San Francisco; TikTok
- Libération CheckNews – Baidu et Alibaba, les deux géants chinois du Web, ont-ils remplacé Israël par la Palestine sur leurs cartes ?