At The Wall Street Journal, Lingling Wei and Jeremy Page report on the surprise announcement from...
Ministry of Finance
by Paulina Hartono | Jan 9, 2009
The Chinese government will be giving small cash gifts to some 74 million citizens before Chinese New Year. From Reuters, via MSNBC: China will give its neediest citizens hand-outs of up to 180 yuan ($26) to brighten their mood...
by Liu Yong | Dec 30, 2007
From AFP: China said on Sunday it will levy taxes on grain exports in 2008 in the latest move apparently aimed at reining in galloping inflation and ensuring stable domestic food supplies. The rates would range from five to 25 percent, according to a brief announcement posted on the website of the Ministry of Finance […]
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods