For most of the beginning of the 20th century, China focused on promoting ballet, folk dance, and traditional opera, but with the growing popularity of different dance styles, such as salsa and hip-hop, modern dance has also...
Jan 26, 2009
Two modern dances, both performed by Tianjin Ballet Troupe, were the most popular dances among Chinese viewers in CCTV’s New Year’s Gala, via Youtube: Dance: The Butterfly Multimedia dance: The Music of Transition in...
Jun 24, 2005
From the Jakarta Post: China is definitely a dancing country. About six thousands professional dancers live in Beijing alone, mostly absorbed into government supported ballet companies, or the so-called song and dance troupes featuring various folk dances, attached to working units (danwei) of government departments… But for all these dance productions, only very few shed […]
CDT in the News
- U.C. San Diego, 21st Century China Center – The Party Remakes China: What to Watch for After the 20th Party Congress
- NYT – China’s ‘Absurd’ Covid Propaganda Stirs Rebellion
- The Economist – The Prince: Searching for Xi Jinping
- FP – China’s War on History Is Growing
- Coda Story newsletter – Chinese censors working overtime to silence dissent on zero-Covid lockdowns in Xinjiang and Tibet