Viral Content is a new CDT series introducing terms coined and used by Chinese netizens during the 2019-2020 COVID-19 outbreak. These terms include both subversive critiques of government policies and nationalistic support of...
by Josh Rudolph | Apr 16, 2020
In 2020, CDT Chinese editors launched the CDT Censorship Digest series. The series will collect and quote from news and online speech that was censored by Chinese authorities during the previous month, as well as summarize...
by Josh Rudolph | Mar 11, 2020
This week, Chinese magazine People (Renwu 人物) published an interview with Ai Fen, the director of the emergency department at Wuhan Central Hospital. In the interview, which was quickly censored, Ai detailed her censure by...
by Josh Rudolph | Aug 25, 2016
After Tsai Ing-wen won Taiwan’s presidential election by a landslide in January, thousands...
by Scott Greene | Jul 10, 2013
The South China Morning Post reports that the family of the Chinese student killed in the Boston Marathon bombing will receive US$2.2 million as part of the approximately US$64 million in compensation distributed by a fund...
CDT in the News
- DW – Where is Jack Ma? The mainstream media keep slience
- FT – Beijing orders Chinese media to censor coverage of Alibaba probe
- China Heritage – China’s Virus of Lies in 2020
- VOA Chinese – Year 2020 in Review: Xi Jinping steps up crackdown on independent journalists with unprecedented intensity
- Rest of World – Waving goodbye to Weibo