Chloé Zhao made history on Sunday as the first woman of color to win an Oscar for best director. Her film “Nomadland” also took the top prize as the 2021 best picture. But in China, the country of Zhao’s birth,...
by Samuel Wade | Feb 24, 2013
While China may have finally scaled the highest pinnacle of international literary acclaim, no such triumph is on the cards atop tonight’s glittering pile of Oscars. Didi Kirsten Tatlow at IHT Rendezvous wonders why, when...
by Sophie Beach | Sep 27, 2005
From Xinhua: Chinese director Chen Kaige‘s high-profile martial arts film, “The Promise”, has received its final “license” to compete for Best Foreign Film in next year’s Academy Awards. The film’s publicist, Huang Bing, announced that they received the official notification from the Film Bureau yesterday.
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods