Chloé Zhao made history on Sunday as the first woman of color to win an Oscar for best director. Her film “Nomadland” also took the top prize as the 2021 best picture. But in China, the country of Zhao’s birth,...
Mar 2, 2014
At Asia Society Jonathan Landreth explains how China prevented Jia Zhangke’s A Touch of Sin...
Feb 27, 2013
Ang Lee’s ‘Best Director’ Oscar victory for Life of Pi on Sunday met a rapturous reception on Taiwan, where he was born. In an editorial proclaiming the “coming of age” of Asian cinema, the South...
Feb 24, 2013
While China may have finally scaled the highest pinnacle of international literary acclaim, no such triumph is on the cards atop tonight’s glittering pile of Oscars. Didi Kirsten Tatlow at IHT Rendezvous wonders why, when...
Sep 27, 2005
From Xinhua: Chinese director Chen Kaige‘s high-profile martial arts film, “The Promise”, has received its final “license” to compete for Best Foreign Film in next year’s Academy Awards. The film’s publicist, Huang Bing, announced that they received the official notification from the Film Bureau yesterday.
CDT in the News
- South China Sea Chronicle Initiative (Vietnamese translation of CDT post)- Sự Bất Đối Xứng Trong Quan Hệ Nga-Trung Và Bên Hưởng Lợi
- Discourse Power – Jan. 23, 2023 Newsletter
- Sinocism newsletter (1/18/2023) – Xi’s Spring Festival video chat; Han Zheng to be the next VP?; Janet Yellen and Liu He meet; Wow mess
- The Economist (Drum Tower newsletter) – What our journalists are reading
- RFA – China slaps exit ban on wife of shuttered Shanghai political bookstore owner