Chloé Zhao made history on Sunday as the first woman of color to win an Oscar for best director. Her film “Nomadland” also took the top prize as the 2021 best picture. But in China, the country of Zhao’s birth,...
by Samuel Wade | Feb 24, 2013
While China may have finally scaled the highest pinnacle of international literary acclaim, no such triumph is on the cards atop tonight’s glittering pile of Oscars. Didi Kirsten Tatlow at IHT Rendezvous wonders why, when...
by Sophie Beach | Sep 27, 2005
From Xinhua: Chinese director Chen Kaige‘s high-profile martial arts film, “The Promise”, has received its final “license” to compete for Best Foreign Film in next year’s Academy Awards. The film’s publicist, Huang Bing, announced that they received the official notification from the Film Bureau yesterday.
CDT in the News
- Hindustan Times – Chinese Communist party wing mocks India’s Covid crisis on social media
- POLITICO – Feminists thwarting China’s population goals
- Forum 2000 – Xiao Qiang: Digital authoritarianism in China undermines democratic values
- NYT – Women Are Battling China’s Angry Trolls. The Trolls Are Winning
- The Jamestown Foundation – Hong Kong Cracks Down on National Security Imperatives Amid Electoral Reforms