Surveillance in Chinese cities is ubiquitous, with highly visible security cameras trained on most every intersection, public space, and building, but over the past decade, it has been seeping into the countryside as well. In an...
Aug 4, 2021
Investigative journalist Peng Yuanwen is known for his reporting at The Beijing News, Vista and ifeng.com, as well as for his witty commentary on Mark Zuckerberg’s notorious 2016 Beijing “smog jog.” But long before that, he...
Feb 12, 2013
The New York Times highlights two photography projects aiming to capture different aspects of China’s diversity. Following a six-month photographic trip across the United States, Mathias Braschler and Monika Fischer...
Nov 9, 2008
Reflections in a Chinese Eye has two rich posts about the state of migrant workers in China’s urban centers today. The first, entitled ‘Systematic Government Theft of Migrant Workers’ Retirement...
Mar 10, 2008
View the last 60 years of Chinese history through the Magnum lens. According to Slate, the photo agency’s China archive can be now be seen in motion: The series’ release coincides with FotoFest 2008: The Twelfth...
Aug 13, 2007
0 These photos are from shengfalin ÊûóÂãùÁôº during a trip to Tibet in 2006-2007. See shengfalin’s flickr page for the rest of the collection and for additional photos from China.
CDT in the News
- ASPI – Singing from the CCP’s songsheet: The role of foreign influencers in China’s propaganda system
- Lacuna Magazine – Redacted Fantasy: China’s Dystopian Censorship of Online Fiction
- Sinocism – Sharp China: The Foreign Influencer Ecosystem; Money Flowing Out of China; Xi’s Exit Strategy; A Mao YouTube Controversy (11.29.2023)
- Sinocism – 2023 Weekly Discussion Thread #36: Xi in San Francisco; TikTok
- Libération CheckNews – Baidu et Alibaba, les deux géants chinois du Web, ont-ils remplacé Israël par la Palestine sur leurs cartes ?