The following censorship instructions, issued to the media by government authorities, have been...
by Samuel Wade | Mar 12, 2013
An armada of over 3,300 [update: 5,916] dead pigs drifted down the Huangpu river towards Shanghai over the weekend, prompting a major clean-up operation. Some of the animals are said to have frozen to death; some are apparently...
by Xiao Qiang | Aug 6, 2005
From The BBC News: Once through the toll booths on the main highway, the first roadside billboard in Sichuan is somewhat surprising. It tells incoming drivers they are entering a “disease free zone”, a model for the nation. But far from being disease free, this area has become a death zone. A disease caused by […]
by Xiao Qiang | Aug 5, 2005
From The International Herald Tribune: The World Health Organization has urged China to conduct more tests to clarify perplexing aspects of the largest outbreak in humans of a bacterial pig disease, including why the death rate among patients has been unusually high. China has reported that the disease, caused by Streptococcus suis bacteria, infected 206 […]
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods