This week, Xi Jinping is visiting San Francisco for the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) summit. It marks his first trip to the U.S. since April 2017, and his first meeting with Joe Biden since last year’s G20 summit in...
ping pong diplomacy
Mar 25, 2014
While meeting on the sidelines of the Nuclear Security Summit in The Hague on Monday, Presidents...
Jan 7, 2009
Today marks 30 years since a ping-pong tournament broke the ice between the U.S. and China, paving the way to diplomatic relations. The occasion was marked in Beijing with a rematch. From the Foreign Policy blog: [Photo from...
Jun 10, 2008
The 1971 ping-pong match that helped reestablish relations between the U.S. and China will be celebrated this week with a rematch between the original players. From AP: It was an unlikely diplomatic tool amid the escalating...
CDT in the News
- Turquoise Roof – Weaponising Big Data: Decoding China’s Digital Surveillance in Tibet
- VOA – Chinese Netizens Criticize Government on US Embassy’s Weibo Post
- China Global South Project – What Do Namibian Giraffes Have To Do With the Chinese Economy? Ask Weibo
- Washington Post – As falling stocks draw criticism in China, censors struggle to keep up
- NYT – China’s Censorship Dragnet Targets Critics of the Economy