On Friday, German Chancellor Olaf Scholz arrived in Beijing for an 11-hour visit with General Secretary Xi Jinping and Premier Li Keqiang. He is the first G7 leader to visit Beijing since the pandemic began, and the first...
Feb 20, 2013
Chinese Overseas Port Holdings Limited took over management of the Pakistani port of Gwadar on Monday, amid suspicion of China’s growing presence in the Indian Ocean. From Reuters: China financed more than 80 percent of...
Dec 5, 2011
A Washington Post report has reignited controversy over research into China’s nuclear capabilities conducted by Georgetown University students under former Pentagon strategist Phillip Karber. The work began following...
Sep 14, 2011
Thant Myint-U writes on Burma’s place at a “new crossroads of Asia” between China and India. Tantalisingly for Beijing, it also separates China from the Indian Ocean, to which new roads, railways and pipelines...
Oct 30, 2004
From Washington Post today: “Brad Kinkelaar, whose mutual fund ranks among the top 15 percent in the United States this year, is depending on dividends from shipping port operators in China to help propel his investment returns. ”
CDT in the News
- Turquoise Roof – Weaponising Big Data: Decoding China’s Digital Surveillance in Tibet
- VOA – Chinese Netizens Criticize Government on US Embassy’s Weibo Post
- China Global South Project – What Do Namibian Giraffes Have To Do With the Chinese Economy? Ask Weibo
- Washington Post – As falling stocks draw criticism in China, censors struggle to keep up
- NYT – China’s Censorship Dragnet Targets Critics of the Economy