China’s nearly 300 million students will be studying “Xi Jinping Thought on Socialism with Chinese Characteristics for a New Era” this coming school year, according to guidelines published by the Ministry of...
Aug 7, 2021
The recent announcement of sweeping new restrictions on China’s over $100 billion private tutoring industry has sent education stocks tumbling and investors reeling, led private tutoring schools to curtail expansion and lay off...
Jan 28, 2014
As debate continues in the West over Shanghai’s PISA-topping school ratings, Ian Johnson...
Mar 28, 2012
In an article for The Atlantic, Helen Gao explores the growing desire of China’s new rich to send their children to private high-schools in the United States. Gao offers a short historical juxtaposition via her own...
May 19, 2005
This article is from the Guangzhou Daily by Zi Feiyu. It has been translated by Joseph McMullin via the Press Interpreter: Since the beginning of May, wave after wave of parents have come to enroll their students in prominent private schools. At the same time, a national debate has been launched since a report in […]
CDT in the News
- Journal of Contemporary China – Invented Borders: The Tension Between Grassroots Patriotism and State-led Patriotic Campaigns in China
- NYT – A Tiananmen Square Musical Worries About China’s Glare
- Global Voices – In China, questions remain ahead of Huawei’s launch of the Mate 60 phone series
- Rest of World – Heavily persecuted, highly influential: China’s online feminist revolution
- Sky News – Chinese state media appears to censor one of its own videos