Artspace China, a blog produced by the University of Sydney, interviews photographer Matthew Niederhauser who has documented China’s underground bands at the D-22 club in Beijing: CC: I’ve heard people comparing this world...
by Sophie Beach | Aug 11, 2010
On China Beat, Tim Hathaway interviews underground musician Zuoxiao Zuzhou about his recent collaboration with Canadian band The Cowboy Junkies: TH: Can you explain why you have such a distinct singing style? What reactions has...
by Sophie Beach | Jun 10, 2010
Danwei’s Alice Xin Liu writes on Huffington Post: It was the first day of summer in Beijing. It also happened to be the May holiday, when Chinese people had three days off in honor of International Workers’ Day....
by Sophie Beach | Sep 14, 2008
Wired interviews the maker of a new documentary about the Chinese punk scene: From Pigface and Ministry to PiL and Killing Joke, drummer Martin Atkins has pounded the skins for some very loud punks. But he didn’t realize...
by Xiao Qiang | Oct 21, 2003
From SFGate.com: When Xiao Rong started China’s seminal punk band Brain Failure, he was a teenager. That was years ago, when nobody had ever seen anything like the mohawk and the studded-leather belt Xiao sported around Beijing. Living on American fast food and pirated CDs, Xiao was one of the first Chinese youth to write […]
CDT in the News
- Hindustan Times – Chinese Communist party wing mocks India’s Covid crisis on social media
- POLITICO – Feminists thwarting China’s population goals
- Forum 2000 – Xiao Qiang: Digital authoritarianism in China undermines democratic values
- NYT – Women Are Battling China’s Angry Trolls. The Trolls Are Winning
- The Jamestown Foundation – Hong Kong Cracks Down on National Security Imperatives Amid Electoral Reforms